Artranta Association was founded in 2012 by a group of design enthusiasts in a small town called Karstula in Central Finland. Artranta has worked with a team of top Finnish designers: Aki Choklat, Jonas Hakaniemi and Harri Koskinen, who was born in Karstula. Our vision is that within a few years we will have built the Artranta Design Residence Centre which will be located by a beautiful lake and a forest area in Karstula.
The Artranta Residence will be the first design and architecture residence in Finland. You can get the most inspiring environment for your own projects in Artranta. The beautiful nature with its forests and lakes offers you a calm and peaceful place to work with natural materials and to live in. You may use wood and its by-products, plants, clay, textile, skin and bones of animals etc., all natural and sustainable materials in your design experiments.
We offer designers the possibility to stay in Karstula for 1-3 months. Housing and meals are served in Karstula Kruukkila. There is also an atelier where you can work. We offer a special workstation with wood and metal carving machines and tools including robots; there is even a possibility to get 3D-printouts in Karstula.
Design and architecture residence in Karstula
You can start applying to the residence program right away. Send your application with an approximated work schedule and a short description of your project or piece of design work to Artranta ry, Anita Saarelainen, Virastotie 4, 43500 Karstula, Finland.
- Industrial design
- Ceramics and jewelry design
- Fashion, textile and leather design
Duration of residencies: 1–3 months; 390 EUR/month
Number of designers at a time: 1–3
Expenses paid by Artranta Association:
- Guidance and excursions to local companies
- Study space, atelier and work station
- Wage for lectures & workshops for entrepreneurs & students
- Possible presentation of the designer’s work in the exhibition area in Galleria Himmeli or Public Library, Karstula
What is expected of you
- Give lecture or run workshop for students or entrepreneurs
- Presenting a plan of the stay in the residence with a work schedule included
Expenses paid by designer: Travels, food & own work materials
Description of residence
Apartment & Study in Kruukkila (old farm house). Workshops on the Ropotti Development Center.
- Workshops with machines and equipment
- 3D printers
- Wireless internet connection
- Finnish, English, Swedish, German, Russian, Spanish
How to get to Karstula
By train or by plane from Helsinki to Jyväskylä. The train from Helsinki to Jyväskylä takes about 4 hours. The flight to Jyväskylä takes 35 minutes. The bus from Jyväskylä to Karstula takes around 90 minutes.
The main highways number 4 to Jyväskylä and number 13 to Karstula. The distance is approximately 370 kilometres.